Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Poem about Thanksgiving. . .and Christmas

Dear Reader-Friends,

A few years back, I wrote a Thanksgiving poem. It's recently been unearthed here in the Cave du Chukran and I thought I'd post it here. Ironically, one of the themes of my new Christmas novella, CATTYWAMPUS CHRISTMAS, is all about WANTING stuff. I thought I'd share the poem with you. Feel free to share, but please give credit to the author, me. :-)



Thankful for ALL my readers!


Thanksgiving Cancelled for Lack of Interest

Christmas wreaths on Credit Union wall
decked with colors never seen in nature.
First week of November, plastic needles
wilting in the hot Texas sun.

Halloween décor still hangs
from trees two blocks away.

Children rush to their parents,
chatter with glee and clamor about
what they WANT for Christmas.

Parents smile and take out
scraps of paper or phones and
take it all down, nodding,
with promises of e-mailing it to Santa.

Straight from sugar shock
to shopping excess
with no pause in between
for gratitude or thankfulness.

Has Thanksgiving
been cancelled,
due to lack of interest?

Copyright © 2014 by Bobbi A. Chukran



No comments: