Saturday, May 11, 2013

It's research, I tell ya!

It seems authors and illustrators will do almost anything to get in the mood, get inspired, or fight procrastination.  We'll even resort to such hijinks like donning silly masks.  Thusly:

Let's just say I'm a bit tired after drawing all day.  I blasted through the PRINCESS PRIMROSE artwork for Weasel the Wizard, the seven elves, and even the dreaded Rapunzel Rapunzel and Snow White portraits.  Those were no problem!

But, the last one, the one I've been putting off---is Thaddeus A. Pole.  Also known as Tad.  Also known as the enchanted frog prince.  Sigh.  I wonder, back in biology class, why they didn't teach us to draw frogs instead of how to---well, you know.  I have an art degree, for cryin' in a bucket!  And yet, I still fear drawing this enchanted frog.

So of course, what do I do?  RESEARCH!  I flip through photos online, flip through a few children's story books I bought with nice frog drawings in them.  I got nuthin.  Then I open up a copy of a book I bought called MY WILD LIFE---I AM A FROG, from the Animal Planet people and authored by Camilla de la Bedoyere.

What should I find inside but a MASK!  Woohoo!  And STICKERS!  And a POSTER!  Wow, who said research is booooring?  Not me!

So, that frog might not get done tonight. It WILL get done eventually because, like, it has to.  There is no story without Tad. But I sure am having fun thinking about drawing him.

Happy trails!

bobbi c.

No comments: