Friday, December 18, 2009

That Disney Magic....The Princess and the Frog

I know, it's not a play, but I also happen to love movies. And watching movies is a good exercise for playwrights, I think. I personally pay very close attention to dialogue, how the characters interact, and how the story might be staged if it was a play.

Husband and I saw *The Princess and the Frog* yesterday, and LOVED it. At first I thought it would just be a few hours of mindless distraction from these major decisions we're having to make since Husband quit his job, but it was much more than that.

It wasn't really a kid's movie at all--well, not only for children, anyway. It has that wonderful Disney hand-drawn animation that we fell in love with as kids. It's also different because it's set in the past in New Orleans and they didn't miss a trick about the food, culture, accents, music, setting---they really did their homework. I recognized several spots, including the Voodoo Museum and one of the main graveyards although they had been turned into 'toons. And they managed to turn a traditional story on its head with a few twists along the way.

I want to figure out how they can manage to make you laugh your rear
off AND cry your eyes out at the same time..LOL. That's the Disney magic.

Happy trails!

bobbi c.

No comments: