Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A new direction....

Welcome to my new blog, all about my adventures in playwriting! For years I've written everything else under the sun....non-fiction books, magazine articles, a novel, short stories, personal essays--you name it!

I can't pinpoint the moment when I decided to try writing a play, but at some time, I did just that. WAY back when I was a pre-teen and teenager, I'd frequently write plays that I tried to get my sister and brother to act in...they usually were outer space adventures in a rocket ship, OR underwater adventures in a submarine! I know I was influenced by the TV shows I watched back then.

In school, and in church groups, I did many musicals and other plays and have always loved attending performances by others. I majored in art in college, though, although my love of costuming and dramatics never left me. Fast forward about 30 years (YIKES), and here I am...going back to some of the types of writing that I loved as a teenager.

Two years ago I started a play that has since become a one-act with five scenes, a modern Texas style adaptation of Cinderella. I'm hoping that our local community theatre can produce it, but if not, I'm also entering it in a contest and trying to find other outlets for it.

In addition, I've written a ten-minute play featuring two sisters sitting in a diner discussing a fashion magazine. This short play started out as a comedy essay I wrote for the Erma Bombeck comedy award. Alas, I didn't win, but that's OK...it's MUCH better as a play, I think.

Both plays are comedies, and I feel like I'm off to a roaring start!

So come back and check out the blog now and then, and join me on my new journey to becoming a produced playwright.

Happy trails!

bobbi c.

No comments: